I was humming this tune yesterday, while flipping through a magazine…..a perfectly harmless way to pass time you’d think. But noooo…..out of nowhere the image of a
cupcake lemon cupcake pops into my head. I am weird like that. I can associate anything and everything with cupcakes. You can argue that it’s a good thing and I’d agree with you…it’s just that, my weighing scale doesn’t and neither does M. But that’s another story.
This Donna Hay recipe is the bomb. Don’t change a thing. The cakes are moist and tender and the lemony tang is perfect for a warm, humid summer afternoon. The only thing I did was halve the recipe (I told you I wasn’t a believer before this cupcake came my way). Next time, I sure will double it!
- 3/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 2 Cups self raising flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 and 3/4 Cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice I went with 4 tbsp of juice
- 1 Cup thick natural yogurt
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius
- Whisk oil, eggs, sugar, lemon rind, lemon juice and yogurt in a bowl till it is thoroughly combined
- Sift in the flour and stir till it forms a smooth batter.
- Spray cupcake liners with oil and scoop batter into each till its 3/4 full
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes till the tops are a light golden brown and spring back when touched
- Frost and eat!
Note: For a fluffier cupcake, whisk the oil and sugar together for about 5 minutes till the mixture becomes pale and then add the rest of the wet ingredients to combine. It’s also not a bad idea to add 1.5 tsp baking powder to the flour before sifting it in.